Saltwater Aquarium/green hair algae

I have a 55 gallon aquarium that I started in Febuary of this year. It has been good so far but now I have green hair algae on just the branch rock. I have tried to clean it off and have lots of crabs but can't get rid of it. I was wondering if there was a chemical I could use to get rid of it that would not hurt my fish or coral. I have also tried "stop hair algae" by chem-marin but that stuff doesn't work either. I don't like to use chemicals but I am desperate.

Hi Cindy:

Have you tried Marc Weiss Algae Magic? It won't work right away in terms of a quick fix, however the long term effects of using this product are great!

See the following link below, from one of my favorite online aquarium supply stores, for detailed information on this product.

Saltwater Aquarium

David Ocreef

Technical saltwater coral reef related aquarium questions are welcome. Coral, invertebrate, and peaceful species of saltwater fish questions are welcome. Questions asked on Saturday and Sunday will be answered the following Monday. REMINDER: Please check the answers pool to see if your question has already been asked and answered. Questions typically are answered within a 48 hour period, however sometimes it may take longer.

I possess over twenty-five years of hands-on experience and knowledge in the ecology of aquariums. Beyond the traditional, I have successfully tested and sustained environments that have been uncharted territories for hobbyists, for decades. I am the first to admit I don't know it all because there will always be something new, amazing, and exciting to learn about, as discoveries are made. It's a hobby one can never outgrow, or grow tired of.

MASNA - Marine Aquarium Society of North America. Director of Orange County Reef Aquatics -

Publications,, and many others.

After High School, my experience and love of marine animals influenced me to take up studies in Marine Biology. Throughout college, I studied Microbiology with an emphasis on Marine Life, as well as numerous other sciences. I continued to advance in this hobby, by building a dozen or more saltwater ecosystems all utilizing Microbes as the major source of my filtration method.