Saltwater Aquarium/Live Rock

Question
Hi.  I had a 75 gallon saltwater tank thriving three years ago.
We moved and had to shut it down.  I saved the live rock in containers.  Are they still usable and if so how do I do it?
Thanks so much.  Courtney

Answer
Courtney,

Live rock is very helpful in getting a newly setup tank established. however, once it is out of the tank and dried it is no longer live. live means it is full of beneficial bacteria, hitchiking algae, and other critters. your going to want to boil off that dead rock before putting it in a tank, as all of that die off can cause some major parameter swings in a newly established tank.

good luck with the new tank!

Marcus.  

Saltwater Aquarium

marcus