Saltwater Aquarium/Coral dye off

Question
I have a new 180 gal set up. 65 gal refugium    Refuge has 6 inches live sand bed and rock live rock rubble and a little bit of calupra  growing.  In the tank there are six fish and one rock with three green mushrooms,  200 lbs live rock.  All parameters test good checked both by me with API test kit and local fish store Set up is 8 weeks old   Since all parameter looked fine I Bought a pipe organ coral. Drip acclimated for 3 hrs. Added to tank. Next morning it looked grey. I picked up and it released a cloud of yellow dust. Obviously dead. But why?   green mushrooms look fair. They have never looked as good as they did In the store and have only been in the tank two weeks prior to adding the pipe organ coral.   The refuge has a protein skimmer and a uv light  circulation.  All water is made up with RO unit     Tank temp 77. Salt   1.024.   Any ideas. I also have carbon in some socks thinking I would scrub any chemicals from the initial set up but something is wrong help"

Answer
Dale,

well the good news is it looks to me like your doing nearly everything right, that is obviously a very nice setup just from the description. The coral die off could be contributed to several issues, acclimation method is one, acclimation is very important with any marine animal but especially coral. if a coral doesnt start off healthy in a tank its not likely to get any better.

also, pipe organ corals need some intense light, what sort of lighting are you running over your tank? for this certain coral and sps and lps i would suggest at least t5 lighting, or halides, or some high quality led's. there are some great fixtures out there but they will cost you a pretty penny but then again, what doesnt in this hobby?

also for corals i would suggest dosing some additives, such as calcium, especially for hard corals. that will help you out a ton. hope that helps.

Marcus.  

Saltwater Aquarium

marcus