Saltwater Aquarium/New reefer

Question
Hi David,I have a about one year old tank that has been set up with fish only but I have now gotten the lighting to start doing some corals. I have a nem in there now and it's doing fantastic . All my levels are good, no nitrates, no nitrites, no ammonia. Calcium is around 500ppm and alk is 10kh.Im looking about doing some be gainer soft coral and just start off with one, but I have read you should also watch your magnesium, since my calcium and alk are good do I need to test for magnesium if I do my water changes weekly? I just don't want to spend the extra money on the testers and magnesium if I don't have to. I am using instant ocean reef crystals. Thanks for all your help.

Answer
Hi Taylor:

Great question... It's always a good idea to do some research first, and ask questions in advance, therefore Kudos!

In regards to your magnesium, your Instant Ocean Reef Crystals synthetic ocean salt contains the proper amount needed to sustain most corals. Therefore your magnesium levels will be fine, without needing to dose the aquarium with additional magnesium.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

David - All Experts
http://www.OCReef.com - Director of Operations

Saltwater Aquarium

David Ocreef