Saltwater Aquarium/Tank conversion

Question
Hello, I am converting a used saltwater tank to freshwater.  I understand that many components will not be used however I would like to ask if anyone knows of a good way to remove salt barnacles from some of the decorations and the heater and other things.  I have been scraping and scrubbing but there are places I cannot reach.  Is there a soaking solution that could be used??

Thank you for any help you can offer.
Thaddeus

Answer
Hello Thaddeus:

Nice to meet you.

In regards to converting a saltwater aquarium to freshwater:

You can use just about all of the apparatus from the saltwater set-up, including filtration, lighting, pumps, etc... unless it was specifically designed to filter saltwater, or specifically designed to measure a saltwater parameter. For example you would not use a protein skimmer, or hydrometer on a freshwater aquarium.

In regards to removing barnacles:

The best way I have accomplished this is by soaking the covered parts overnight in a solution of vinegar... then gently scrubbing them off.

I wish you the best of luck with all your future aquarium endeavors.

P.S. You may even think about doing a saltwater aquarium one day, or starting one now, since you already have a saltwater set-up. They are not any more complicated in terms of maintenance than a freshwater aquarium... "especially once you get the hang of it".

Happy New Year!

David

All Experts - Editor

OCReef.com - Director of Operations http://www.ocreef.com  

Saltwater Aquarium

David Ocreef