Saltwater Aquarium/White residue

Question
Hi there! We just started a 29 gallon saltwater tank two weeks ago. So nothing but live rock. Put in our clean-up team friday night which consists of turbo snails, hermits etc.....all of a sudden a huge blowup of white substance on some of our liverock. Even one of our turbos....(photos available). More like a dried icing texture...not a powdery....hard. Keep trying to do calcium tests. Says count drops until it turns purple (around 20)...Got to 43 drops no change in color so stopped. Can you help? Thanks :(

Answer
Hi Tina:

Happy Holidays!

What you are experiencing with your live rock in regards to this white film, is perfectly normal.

Some even say that the live rock is puking or vomiting.

In conclusion, live rock needs to undergo a full curing process... during this time live rock can often times release a white film or dead material, these being the remnants of microorganisms that previously inhabited the live rock. However with time the live rock will once again, be teeming with life.

Keep aggressively filtering your water, and monitoring water parameters before introducing anymore marine life to your aquarium. You should not have to adjust any parameters as the aquarium will eventually start to balance itself out, this time frame would depend on if you used synthetic saltwater or filtered ocean water.

I wish you luck with all your future saltwater aquarium endeavors.

David  

Saltwater Aquarium

David Ocreef