Saltwater Aquarium/aiptasia and zoanthus

Question
i have a aiptashia problem and i have some new corals on the way..will they kill my corals? what do i do to get rid of the aiptasia. I really need help on this. what is your advice? thank you very much

Answer
Lime Juice can Kill Aiptasia Anemone
Lime Juice can Kill Ai  
Hi Justine:

Although the Aiptasia Anemone's generally will not harm most Corals, you definitely want to eradicate these nuisance marine animals, before they multiply anymore.

There are products readily available to help with this, including Red Sea Aiptasia X, and Joe's Juice. You can find these products from quality online aquarium supply stores, like Orange County Reef Aquatics http://www.ocreef.com This is my favorite online aquarium supply store; I've been ordering from them for years; if you don't see what you're looking for on their website, then they'll special order it for you.

See the following link below from RedSea, which includes a video about the Red Sea Aiptasia X product.

http://www.redseafish.com/index.aspx?id=4418

See the following link below from Joe's Juice, regarding their product.

http://www.joesjuice.com/site/

If you are very careful, and kill only a couple Aiptasia per day, you can use store bought Lime Juice, for example Silicia Lime Juice (see the attached image); however since it's concentrated you only want to use a little at any given time, i.e. (kill only a couple Aiptasia at a time, in a given day), so that you don't alter the pH of the aquarium water, causing a major pH swing. You would apply (squirt) the Lime Juice directly onto the Aiptasia with an eye dropper or any inert injection device, that allows you to directly squirt the Anemone with some force.

Some Natural Methods of eradicating Aiptasia, include adding marine animals that will eat them, including Copperband Butterfly fish and Peppermint Cleaner Shrimp. I have personally used both of these species of marine animals for Aiptasia eradication, and they are both very effective. Don't expect the Copperband Butterfly fish or Peppermint Shrimp to immediately devour the Aiptasia, however with time they'll eventually get all of them. Plus they'll make really great additions to most coral reef aquariums.

I hope some of the above information helps you...

I wish you the best of luck with all your future saltwater endeavors.

David - All Experts  

Saltwater Aquarium

David Ocreef