Saltwater Aquarium/anemones

I have a few anemones.. But one large Green Carpet and he has eaten 2 of my medium Black Clown fish.. I am wondering if he will keep eating more of my clownfish and why he would eat them at all.... Can the clowns go from one anemone to another or do they not do that.. It seems since the green carpet ate the 2 clowns my other clowns seen afraid of the anemones ..or do you think it just seems that why..     Thanks for your time Val

Hi Valerie:

Sorry for your loss...

The only advice I have to give you, is perhaps he's not getting fed enough. Make sure you are feeding your Carpet Anemone at least a few times a week, or even daily feedings, especially if he's more on the large size. Food items can include fresh or thawed frozen prepared foods, for example silversides, shrimp, chunks of fresh fish and other meaty marine foods... Also proper lighting is extremely important; if you have proper lighting, this will help the Carpet Anemone, because they host photosynthetic zooxanthellate in their tissues, which produces sugars, carbohydrates, and other essentials.

Also tank size may be playing a role in regards to your issue. How big is your tank? You may want to think about moving it to another tank or trading it back to your LFS.

I wish you luck with all your future saltwater aquarium endeavors.

David - All Experts Editor - Director of Operations  

Saltwater Aquarium

David Ocreef

Technical saltwater coral reef related aquarium questions are welcome. Coral, invertebrate, and peaceful species of saltwater fish questions are welcome. Questions asked on Saturday and Sunday will be answered the following Monday. REMINDER: Please check the answers pool to see if your question has already been asked and answered. Questions typically are answered within a 48 hour period, however sometimes it may take longer.

I possess over twenty-five years of hands-on experience and knowledge in the ecology of aquariums. Beyond the traditional, I have successfully tested and sustained environments that have been uncharted territories for hobbyists, for decades. I am the first to admit I don't know it all because there will always be something new, amazing, and exciting to learn about, as discoveries are made. It's a hobby one can never outgrow, or grow tired of.

MASNA - Marine Aquarium Society of North America. Director of Orange County Reef Aquatics -

Publications,, and many others.

After High School, my experience and love of marine animals influenced me to take up studies in Marine Biology. Throughout college, I studied Microbiology with an emphasis on Marine Life, as well as numerous other sciences. I continued to advance in this hobby, by building a dozen or more saltwater ecosystems all utilizing Microbes as the major source of my filtration method.