Saltwater Aquarium/identify thing in reef, fish salt water aquarium

There is a long clear thing sticking up from sand bed near live rock. Can see thru it. Looks like one of those tiny thin tubes they sometimes place drops of blood inat dr. office..  It stands straight up. Looks as if it might have very tiny snails in o on it in areas.  Completely see thru .Looks to be an inch or taller.Sways with the water movement and flow. Does not appear to have anything  else growing from it or on it.

Hi Nancy:

It's probably a harmless species of tube worm. Many hobbyists consider these a welcome addition to their reef aquarium. If you have a picture, please email it to me. Thanks.

I wish you luck with all your future saltwater aquarium endeavors.

All Experts - Editor - Orange County Aquarium Supplies Director of Operations  

Saltwater Aquarium

David Ocreef

Technical saltwater coral reef related aquarium questions are welcome. Coral, invertebrate, and peaceful species of saltwater fish questions are welcome. Questions asked on Saturday and Sunday will be answered the following Monday. REMINDER: Please check the answers pool to see if your question has already been asked and answered. Questions typically are answered within a 48 hour period, however sometimes it may take longer.

I possess over twenty-five years of hands-on experience and knowledge in the ecology of aquariums. Beyond the traditional, I have successfully tested and sustained environments that have been uncharted territories for hobbyists, for decades. I am the first to admit I don't know it all because there will always be something new, amazing, and exciting to learn about, as discoveries are made. It's a hobby one can never outgrow, or grow tired of.

MASNA - Marine Aquarium Society of North America. Director of Orange County Reef Aquatics -

Publications,, and many others.

After High School, my experience and love of marine animals influenced me to take up studies in Marine Biology. Throughout college, I studied Microbiology with an emphasis on Marine Life, as well as numerous other sciences. I continued to advance in this hobby, by building a dozen or more saltwater ecosystems all utilizing Microbes as the major source of my filtration method.