Saltwater Aquarium/Leather Coral acting strange

Question
Green Leather Coral
Green Leather Coral  
Hello,
I currently have a green Leather Coral in a six gallon salt water aqaurium. I have had this little guy for about  three and half weeks. It has not shed yet, but it does open in the day time. When it does, it tends to flatten out, and almost always fall over. It also, has some light colored spots on it. I did have two clown fish that passed away for still unknown reasons. My tank peramaters have been perfect since I have established this tank. I'm wondering if this is just a phase my coral is going through, or that he is on his way out. I have six crabs, live sand, and a filter action system with LED light/luner systems as well. I usually fed my tank Brine Shrimp every night, until my fish passed away. I now, feed my coral every other night. I was told when I purchased him, to lightly scrub him with a soft brisled toothbrush, to help aid him shed. I really need to know if I'm doing this right or not. I do have a friend, and he has helped with everything. He has a 120 gallon salt water tank, full established and doing great, with a wonderful sump and filtration system going. I asked him, and he doesn't even know what to do. Please help!
Thank you :)

Answer
Good morning:

I am a very big fan of the pico / nano reef aquarium. However in an aquarium of this size you don't need to feed it every night or even every other night. I'd recommend at most once a week; this is because Leather's host the symbiotic algae in their tissue cells called zooxanthellate; this zooxanthellate grows from giving your coral the proper light needed; it makes up about 90% percent of their diet, the other 10% would be in the forms of plankton's of both phytoplankton and zooplankton, that you would feed them...

In regards to scrubbing your corals, I wouldn't recommend doing this, because you could accidentally damage  them; Leathers will shed naturally, and provided your aquarium has good water flow, the current will wash their shedding from them. If you do happen to see some of their shedding that you would like to remove, use a low powered powerhead to gently push and wash off the materials from them...

I wish you luck with all your future saltwater aquarium endeavors.

Sincerely,
David

All Experts Editor

Orange County Reef Aquatics - Director of Operations - http://www.ocreef.com  

Saltwater Aquarium

David Ocreef