Saltwater Aquarium/Sea anemones

I have a 38 gallon  salt water tank with a canister filter, powerhead, heater, and quad lighting with 2 t5 and 2 white lights and little LED. As for live stock i have three clown , 2 pjs, 2 puffers, 2 damels and a triger, now my tank is split in half with the clown and some corals and anenome on one side and the rest on the other, the corals are a combo of zoas and mushrooms. The past couple of days i saw that my anemoe wont stick to the bottom or a rock anymore, it doesnt look limp, but when i turn off the lights it seems to limp up and look unhealthy and i noticed some black stuff come out of it. My question is what should i do and what do you think is going on?

Hi Christian:

Your Anemone could have gotten hit by the impeller in your powerhead. Anemone's like to crawl everywhere inside an aquarium, and a powerhead left uncovered can be harmful to an Anemone.

What you will need to do now, is put the Anemone in a separate hospital/quarantine tank to monitor it. Make sure to keep feeding it and caring for it. Once it shows signs of being healthy, you can relocate it back to your main aquarium.

I wish you luck with all your future saltwater aquarium endeavors.

All Experts - Editor Orange County Reef Aquatics - Director of Operations

Saltwater Aquarium

David Ocreef

Technical saltwater coral reef related aquarium questions are welcome. Coral, invertebrate, and peaceful species of saltwater fish questions are welcome. Questions asked on Saturday and Sunday will be answered the following Monday. REMINDER: Please check the answers pool to see if your question has already been asked and answered. Questions typically are answered within a 48 hour period, however sometimes it may take longer.

I possess over twenty-five years of hands-on experience and knowledge in the ecology of aquariums. Beyond the traditional, I have successfully tested and sustained environments that have been uncharted territories for hobbyists, for decades. I am the first to admit I don't know it all because there will always be something new, amazing, and exciting to learn about, as discoveries are made. It's a hobby one can never outgrow, or grow tired of.

MASNA - Marine Aquarium Society of North America. Director of Orange County Reef Aquatics -

Publications,, and many others.

After High School, my experience and love of marine animals influenced me to take up studies in Marine Biology. Throughout college, I studied Microbiology with an emphasis on Marine Life, as well as numerous other sciences. I continued to advance in this hobby, by building a dozen or more saltwater ecosystems all utilizing Microbes as the major source of my filtration method.