Saltwater Aquarium/Filter problem

Hello, I have a 36 gallon bowfront. I recently bought a marineland 350 filter for my tank but when I was going to install it the plastic cross bar dosent let me put the filter becuase the filter is too big. I wanted to know that do I do in this situation? Can I trim the bar so the filter fits? What do you recommend?

Hi William:

You may carefully trim the bar, but use caution when doing so, as to not break it. Often times in this hobby retrofitting will be required, and with patience you can make it work.

I wish you success with all your future aquarium endeavors.

Thank you.

Saltwater Aquarium

David Ocreef

Technical saltwater coral reef related aquarium questions are welcome. Coral, invertebrate, and peaceful species of saltwater fish questions are welcome. Questions asked on Saturday and Sunday will be answered the following Monday. REMINDER: Please check the answers pool to see if your question has already been asked and answered. Questions typically are answered within a 48 hour period, however sometimes it may take longer.

I possess over twenty-five years of hands-on experience and knowledge in the ecology of aquariums. Beyond the traditional, I have successfully tested and sustained environments that have been uncharted territories for hobbyists, for decades. I am the first to admit I don't know it all because there will always be something new, amazing, and exciting to learn about, as discoveries are made. It's a hobby one can never outgrow, or grow tired of.

MASNA - Marine Aquarium Society of North America. Director of Orange County Reef Aquatics -

Publications,, and many others.

After High School, my experience and love of marine animals influenced me to take up studies in Marine Biology. Throughout college, I studied Microbiology with an emphasis on Marine Life, as well as numerous other sciences. I continued to advance in this hobby, by building a dozen or more saltwater ecosystems all utilizing Microbes as the major source of my filtration method.