Saltwater Aquarium/wierd growth in tank

aquarium growth
aquarium growth  
QUESTION: Enclosed is a picture of a dime sized, cream colored growth that appeared in my 4 year old 55 gallon aquarium about a year ago.  It was rocking along not really changing when about two months ago, I started noticing about six more popping up in the tank at different sizes but max out at the same size.  I have a variety of critters in the tank including one tang, one anemone, one cleaner shrimp, two choc chip star fish, one clownfish, one firefish, turbo snails, hermit crab and a couple of dansils.  No other diseases or issues that I know of.  Really wondering if this growth is friend or foe?  thank you in advance!!

ANSWER: sorry for the late reply nikki, i had not gotten the notification i had a question. my apologies.

as for the growth, i cannot quite tell from the picture as when i zoom it gets very pix-elated but it could be several things from what i see. it could very well just be a sponge, those tend to pop up from time to time on live rock and are extremely harmless. it could also be a majano anemone, in this case these are very similar to aptasia being a parasitic anemone. and can easily invade your tank.

if you could follow up with a higher quality image i could help you much better, but i hope i helped a bit.

Pic 1
Pic 1  

Thank you for the answer. I am sending you several more photos of these growths in varying stages of size. Let me know if you need anything more. I am fairly concerned. Thanks so much!  Nicci

nothing to worry about Nicci,this is simply either a sea squirt or a variety of hitchhiking sponge.

there are several varieties of sponge and sea squirt that commonly hitchhike on live rock. they are entirely harmless.  

Saltwater Aquarium

i have about 15 years of experience in the reefing hobby but have been keeping aquariums for about 20, i am up to date on all the latest equipment such as led lighting, dosers, the new tanks available such as the red sea max and i can help you with many creatures that most other people have never even kept before such as sehorses, cephs, and sharks and rays.

15 years in the reefing hobby and it has come to my attention this site needs some more informed experts.

masters degree in marine biology