Saltwater Aquarium/Skunk Cleaner Shrimps dead...

Question
Hello there. I have a 20 gallon nano. All water specs are kept at "0", ph is kept at 8.2 and temp at 78. A few days ago, I came home from work, and found my two peppermint shrimps were pretty much at deaths door and my two cleaners looked extremely weak, where they couldn't move and wherever the flow was, they were almost flying along with it. Both had very minor twitches going with the occasional antennae moving about. I did a 2 gallon WC immediately, hoping that would maybe help. I've had them for about 6 months with no problem. They've been acting weird for the past few days prior, like staying behind the rocks, just staying still and not being very active, then this. Within a few hours, they finally gave up and kicked it. I do bi-weekly water changes, as I have a skimmer going on the tank. All my water params seem to be perfect, and I just don't understand what happened that killed all of my shrimps. At the last moment, I had realized that skimmers take out Iodine. Could it have been a full depletion of Iodine that killed them? I have never ever had a problem with my 13 yrs of SW keeping, until this. Also wanted to add, I have the following in the tank as well: False percula clownfish, red firefish, green clown goby, blue tuxedo urchin, Hawaiian feather duster, green emerald crab, strawberry crab, two turbo snails, one pyramid snails, 3 narc snails and two bumblee snails. Any answers, pointers or whatever is GREATLY appreciated!!!

Answer
Hi Rich:

Perhaps the Iodine and Calcium were at extremely low levels, not allowing the exoskeleton to harden fast enough after your Peppermint and Cleaner Shrimp molted, leaving them vulnerable to predation from the fish, and even the crab would grab at them if he knew they had no protection.

Other than this I can't think of anything else... sorry I wish I had more for you.

I wish you the best of luck with all your future saltwater aquarium endeavors.

David

All Experts - Editor

Orange County Reef Aquatics - http://www.ocreef.com - Director of Operations  

Saltwater Aquarium

David Ocreef