Saltwater Aquarium/Anemone closing up

I am new to this hobby. I've had fresh water tanks for years. I have a bubble tipped anemone which has been closing up. I'm wondering if this could be a sign that it is going to split....Is that possible????  Thanks Bob

Hi Bob:

If a Bubble Tip Anemone is showing signs of remaining closed up for an extended period of time, it could mean there is a health issue, and perhaps it could be caused by insufficient lighting, water parameters or from not being fed. BTA's should be fed a minimum of 1 to 2 times a week.

However if it's healthy and none of the above are an issue, then yes absolutely it could be a sign that it's going to split. Often times they will split down the middle to make two anemones from one.

Thank you for the question.

I wish you much success with all your future saltwater aquarium endeavors.

David - All Experts -  

Saltwater Aquarium

David Ocreef

Technical saltwater coral reef related aquarium questions are welcome. Coral, invertebrate, and peaceful species of saltwater fish questions are welcome. Questions asked on Saturday and Sunday will be answered the following Monday. REMINDER: Please check the answers pool to see if your question has already been asked and answered. Questions typically are answered within a 48 hour period, however sometimes it may take longer.

I possess over twenty-five years of hands-on experience and knowledge in the ecology of aquariums. Beyond the traditional, I have successfully tested and sustained environments that have been uncharted territories for hobbyists, for decades. I am the first to admit I don't know it all because there will always be something new, amazing, and exciting to learn about, as discoveries are made. It's a hobby one can never outgrow, or grow tired of.

MASNA - Marine Aquarium Society of North America. Director of Orange County Reef Aquatics -

Publications,, and many others.

After High School, my experience and love of marine animals influenced me to take up studies in Marine Biology. Throughout college, I studied Microbiology with an emphasis on Marine Life, as well as numerous other sciences. I continued to advance in this hobby, by building a dozen or more saltwater ecosystems all utilizing Microbes as the major source of my filtration method.