Saltwater Aquarium/Snowflake eel

Question
David, I just got a Juvy snowflake eel yesterday. He's doing good,he's out and exploring tonight after lights out. He stays in the rock during the day. My concern is he's not eating,he doesn't even seem a wee bit interested in the krill I'm trying to give him. He's more interested in trying to get out of the tank. (Tank is sealed nice and tight lol) should o be concerned about him not wanting to eat? Heck my cleaner shrimp climbed on him and he didn't even try to get it. Could he still be acclimating to his tank? Thank you so much for your help.

Answer
Aquarium Fish Feeder Stick
Aquarium Fish Feeder S  

Freeze Dried Krill
Freeze Dried Krill  
Hi Taylor:

Thank you for the question.

One of my favorite's is the Snowflake eel, I had one for many years... I named him Buster, and when I purchased him he wasn't much bigger than a large earth worm. As he grew over the years he started to get tame, and recognized when I was standing by the tank and would come to the top of the tank to visit and take freeze dried krill right from my hand. I could even gently pet him on his head and place my hand over and around him in the water. Needless to say a wonderful marine animal.

In regards to yours, give him some time to get fully adjusted to his new home. They are more active at night, as they are nocturnal in nature. Make sure to keep some caves available in your aquarium, for him to retreat to, and a place to call his own.

You can try feeding him with a feeder stick like the Kent Marine Nautilus Sea Squirt Feeder Stick; you would attach a krill to it and dangle it around him, if he's hungry he'll eventually nab it from the feeder stick. I'll attach an image and include a web page for it from one of my favorite online aquarium supply stores. I'll also include an image and web page for the freeze dried krill. You can also feed your eel fresh seafood items like chopped shrimp, crab, and squid.

http://www.ocreef.com/kent_marine_seasquirt_liquid_plankton_feeding_tool

http://www.ocreef.com/san_francisco_bay_brand_freeze_dried_krill_2_ounces

I wish you much success with all of your future saltwater aquarium endeavors.

Sincerely,
David - All Experts Editor

Saltwater Aquarium

David Ocreef