Saltwater Aquarium/STRANGE GROWTH IN SALTWATER AQUARIUM

Question
THERE IS A STRANGE GROWTH IN OUR SALTWATER AQUARIUM. IT IS STUCK ON THE SIDES OF THE TANK AND ALSO ON ROCKS AND CORAL. IT IS TUBULAR WITH HAIR LIKE TENTACLES. WHEN FOOD IS PUT IN THE TANK THE TENTACLES REACH FOR THE FOOD. THEY SEEM TO BE MULTIPLYING.

Answer
Hello Lorraine,

it seems to me from your description that this hitchhiker is most likely simply a colony of tiny feather dusters. with tube like structures and tiny hairy like tentacles that sway in the water this is almost definitely what you are seeing. if so, then there is no need to worry. they are harmless and actually are a pretty cool little hitchhiker in my opinion :)

hope that helps you out!

Marcus.  

Saltwater Aquarium

marcus