Saltwater Aquarium/None

1. I heard that keeping a saltwater aquarium is more dfficult than that of a freshwater one. So to build a saltwater aquarium, how much should a person consider the least size for a house aquarium?

2. Are there any species of sharks for a home aquarium?

3. is 35 gallon enough for a sucessful saltwater aquarium?

Thanks a lot

Hi Jem:

See the answers to your questions below.

1. If you're dedicated it doesn't have to be complicated. If you're dedicated you could potentially keep any size desired in your home. Literature always recommends beginners to start with the largest size possible that can be afforded. This is because a larger body of water is generally more stable in terms of fluctuating parameters.

2.  Yes, there are species of shark that can be kept in captivity, including the Bamboo Shark.

3. Yes, 35 gallons could potentially make a beautiful coral reef saltwater aquarium. You would not be able to keep any species of shark in a 35 gallon.

Thank you.

Saltwater Aquarium

David Ocreef

Technical saltwater coral reef related aquarium questions are welcome. Coral, invertebrate, and peaceful species of saltwater fish questions are welcome. Questions asked on Saturday and Sunday will be answered the following Monday. REMINDER: Please check the answers pool to see if your question has already been asked and answered. Questions typically are answered within a 48 hour period, however sometimes it may take longer.

I possess over twenty-five years of hands-on experience and knowledge in the ecology of aquariums. Beyond the traditional, I have successfully tested and sustained environments that have been uncharted territories for hobbyists, for decades. I am the first to admit I don't know it all because there will always be something new, amazing, and exciting to learn about, as discoveries are made. It's a hobby one can never outgrow, or grow tired of.

MASNA - Marine Aquarium Society of North America. Director of Orange County Reef Aquatics -

Publications,, and many others.

After High School, my experience and love of marine animals influenced me to take up studies in Marine Biology. Throughout college, I studied Microbiology with an emphasis on Marine Life, as well as numerous other sciences. I continued to advance in this hobby, by building a dozen or more saltwater ecosystems all utilizing Microbes as the major source of my filtration method.