Saltwater Aquarium/Growth in my overflow

Your question was

"I'm sure this is probably an easy one and has probably been asked many times before but...
what is the white, stringy, like wet rice noodles, stuck all over the inside of my overflow. They start out maybe a cm long and grow to maybe 1 inch max. the are not pineapple sponge, pretty sure of that, they aren't round or fuzzy. they just look like rice noodles and stuck all on the walls of the inside part of the overflow.
What are they and should I do anything about them, harmless??

Thanks Maggie
( in case you want to know, I'm running a 90G reef, with a 30g sump--6 months in)"

Hi Maggie:

Nice to meet you...

These are in the tube worm family and are actually often called rice noodle worms; there are many varying species so it would be hard to pinpoint exactly which species is inhabiting your sump; they are harmless and pose no threat. They are filter feeders so they actually contribute.

Thanks for the question.

I wish you the best of luck with all your future saltwater aquarium endeavors.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Happy Holidays!

David - All Experts
Director - - Orange County Reef Aquatics

Saltwater Aquarium

David Ocreef

Technical saltwater coral reef related aquarium questions are welcome. Coral, invertebrate, and peaceful species of saltwater fish questions are welcome. Questions asked on Saturday and Sunday will be answered the following Monday. REMINDER: Please check the answers pool to see if your question has already been asked and answered. Questions typically are answered within a 48 hour period, however sometimes it may take longer.

I possess over twenty-five years of hands-on experience and knowledge in the ecology of aquariums. Beyond the traditional, I have successfully tested and sustained environments that have been uncharted territories for hobbyists, for decades. I am the first to admit I don't know it all because there will always be something new, amazing, and exciting to learn about, as discoveries are made. It's a hobby one can never outgrow, or grow tired of.

MASNA - Marine Aquarium Society of North America. Director of Orange County Reef Aquatics -

Publications,, and many others.

After High School, my experience and love of marine animals influenced me to take up studies in Marine Biology. Throughout college, I studied Microbiology with an emphasis on Marine Life, as well as numerous other sciences. I continued to advance in this hobby, by building a dozen or more saltwater ecosystems all utilizing Microbes as the major source of my filtration method.