Saltwater Aquarium/Saltwater fish

I have several questions:

1) How many inches of saltwater fish per gallon should you have?

2) What easy to care for, tamable, and compatible fish are there for home aquariums?

3) How much are the total costs, minimum and maximum?

Hi Miriam:

Nice to meet you, see the answers to your questions below. For further educational information, please see the following website below, they have a plethora of information. I will list a few of their web pages below for you to go through, and read up on.

1) There is no definite answer to this question, however a good rule of thumb for non-aggressive saltwater fish is an inch of fish (measured from the nose to the base of the tail) per every 5 gallons of saltwater.

2) I would recommend clown fish, specifically Tank-Bred Amphiprion Ocellaris, they're extremely easy to tame and will come to the top of the aquarium and take bits of food from your hand. They are an extremely hardy fish.

3) There is no definite answer to this question. Saltwater fish can range from $15 each to $100 and up. You can start a nice 12 to 14 gallon saltwater Nano aquarium for around $100

P.S. You are doing the right thing by asking questions and reading up first. But don't give up, it's not as hard as some think it is to keep saltwater fish, corals and invertebrates. It's a very rewarding hobby, a hobby where you’ll never stop learning.

I wish you the best of luck with all your saltwater aquarium endeavors!

Saltwater Aquarium

David Ocreef

Technical saltwater coral reef related aquarium questions are welcome. Coral, invertebrate, and peaceful species of saltwater fish questions are welcome. Questions asked on Saturday and Sunday will be answered the following Monday. REMINDER: Please check the answers pool to see if your question has already been asked and answered. Questions typically are answered within a 48 hour period, however sometimes it may take longer.

I possess over twenty-five years of hands-on experience and knowledge in the ecology of aquariums. Beyond the traditional, I have successfully tested and sustained environments that have been uncharted territories for hobbyists, for decades. I am the first to admit I don't know it all because there will always be something new, amazing, and exciting to learn about, as discoveries are made. It's a hobby one can never outgrow, or grow tired of.

MASNA - Marine Aquarium Society of North America. Director of Orange County Reef Aquatics -

Publications,, and many others.

After High School, my experience and love of marine animals influenced me to take up studies in Marine Biology. Throughout college, I studied Microbiology with an emphasis on Marine Life, as well as numerous other sciences. I continued to advance in this hobby, by building a dozen or more saltwater ecosystems all utilizing Microbes as the major source of my filtration method.