Saltwater Aquarium/White carpet Anemone

Hi David, so I just purchased a beautiful White carpet Anemone from my LFS and is currently acclimating. I read they need strong lighting which I have with my radion Gen 2. I put the radion in acclimation mode for one week to help with the aclimation but will that be to low of lighting for the Carpet? Thanks so much for the help!

Hi Taylor:

Nice to meet you... good question.

I have experience with the Ecotech Marine Brand Radion Gen 2 LED aquarium light, and it should work well for you in acclimation mode. I don't think it will be too little light for your White Carpet Anemone.

These species of Anemone's are fairly hardy, provided they have not sustained any bodily harm during transport; and although they are photosynthetic animals they can survive for quite a while without adequate lighting by using the stored zooxanthellate in their cellular tissue's to produce the needed sugars and food substances that they produce inside their systems to feed from. This is how they survive thunderstorms and bad weather and short periods of darkness in nature.

I wish you luck with all of your future saltwater aquarium endeavors.

Saltwater Aquarium

David Ocreef

Technical saltwater coral reef related aquarium questions are welcome. Coral, invertebrate, and peaceful species of saltwater fish questions are welcome. Questions asked on Saturday and Sunday will be answered the following Monday. REMINDER: Please check the answers pool to see if your question has already been asked and answered. Questions typically are answered within a 48 hour period, however sometimes it may take longer.

I possess over twenty-five years of hands-on experience and knowledge in the ecology of aquariums. Beyond the traditional, I have successfully tested and sustained environments that have been uncharted territories for hobbyists, for decades. I am the first to admit I don't know it all because there will always be something new, amazing, and exciting to learn about, as discoveries are made. It's a hobby one can never outgrow, or grow tired of.

MASNA - Marine Aquarium Society of North America. Director of Orange County Reef Aquatics -

Publications,, and many others.

After High School, my experience and love of marine animals influenced me to take up studies in Marine Biology. Throughout college, I studied Microbiology with an emphasis on Marine Life, as well as numerous other sciences. I continued to advance in this hobby, by building a dozen or more saltwater ecosystems all utilizing Microbes as the major source of my filtration method.