Saltwater Aquarium/Corals shrinking

I have a 125 gallon saltwater aqaurium and I have a few filter feeding corals one is a colt coral  anyhow they been shrinking the last two weeks not looking good at all I've tested salinty and ph and temp,nitrite and nitrates . Nitrates r high but always have been a little high . I use prime witch is supposed to detoxifie nitrates . Tanks been going for about eight years everything's  always been fine until recently the only thing that's new is I bought this product called reef roids for filter feeding corals  and installed new hoses on my pump with two new shut offs that I think are brass. My fish are all nice and healthy what do you think is making them shrivel up

I'd recommend to check your phosphate level. When it's too high it tends to bother filter feeders.

There's several great products on the market for phosphate reduction / removal, including ATM's Agent Green Phosphate Remover and Seachem's SeaGel.

Saltwater Aquarium

David Ocreef

Technical saltwater coral reef related aquarium questions are welcome. Coral, invertebrate, and peaceful species of saltwater fish questions are welcome. Questions asked on Saturday and Sunday will be answered the following Monday. REMINDER: Please check the answers pool to see if your question has already been asked and answered. Questions typically are answered within a 48 hour period, however sometimes it may take longer.

I possess over twenty-five years of hands-on experience and knowledge in the ecology of aquariums. Beyond the traditional, I have successfully tested and sustained environments that have been uncharted territories for hobbyists, for decades. I am the first to admit I don't know it all because there will always be something new, amazing, and exciting to learn about, as discoveries are made. It's a hobby one can never outgrow, or grow tired of.

MASNA - Marine Aquarium Society of North America. Director of Orange County Reef Aquatics -

Publications,, and many others.

After High School, my experience and love of marine animals influenced me to take up studies in Marine Biology. Throughout college, I studied Microbiology with an emphasis on Marine Life, as well as numerous other sciences. I continued to advance in this hobby, by building a dozen or more saltwater ecosystems all utilizing Microbes as the major source of my filtration method.