Saltwater Aquarium/Fish Compatability

I currently have a 100 gallon FOWLR tank that house the following tank mates: 1 Dogfaced puffer, 1 Tomato clown, 1 Lunar wrasse, 1 Foxface, 1 Blue Hippo tang, &  2 Snowflake eels. I am looking at adding a dwarf lion, red chocolate ship star, a couple feather dusters, and a blue tuxedo urchin. In your opinion, will these additions be compatible? Please let me know your thoughts and or concerns. Your assistance in this matter is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Hi: thanks for the question.

The dog-faced puffer may pose a problem for the chocolate chip star. However more importantly the Lion fish will eat anything up to half the size of their own body which includes vertebrates and invertebrates, also at risk are sea urchins, brittle stars, crabs, shrimp, mollusks and all of the conch family.

I wish you all the best with all of your future saltwater aquarium endeavors.

Saltwater Aquarium

David Ocreef

Technical saltwater coral reef related aquarium questions are welcome. Coral, invertebrate, and peaceful species of saltwater fish questions are welcome. Questions asked on Saturday and Sunday will be answered the following Monday. REMINDER: Please check the answers pool to see if your question has already been asked and answered. Questions typically are answered within a 48 hour period, however sometimes it may take longer.

I possess over twenty-five years of hands-on experience and knowledge in the ecology of aquariums. Beyond the traditional, I have successfully tested and sustained environments that have been uncharted territories for hobbyists, for decades. I am the first to admit I don't know it all because there will always be something new, amazing, and exciting to learn about, as discoveries are made. It's a hobby one can never outgrow, or grow tired of.

MASNA - Marine Aquarium Society of North America. Director of Orange County Reef Aquatics -

Publications,, and many others.

After High School, my experience and love of marine animals influenced me to take up studies in Marine Biology. Throughout college, I studied Microbiology with an emphasis on Marine Life, as well as numerous other sciences. I continued to advance in this hobby, by building a dozen or more saltwater ecosystems all utilizing Microbes as the major source of my filtration method.