Saltwater Fishing/Fishing saltwater canals

Michael P Harrold wrote at 2013-07-26 19:42:05
That was a very thorough explanation.  I recently moved onto a canal home in Hudson, Florida.  I'm probably 1/8 of a mile from the open bay, it's pretty much a straight shot in...and my particular canal is littered with shrimping boats.  

I've found much of what's been said here to be true...if there's one thing I can add, it's bring an arsenal.  I've seen so many species of fish in my canal it's unbelievable, black drum, redfish, flounder, snook, croakers, small grouper, barracuda, dolphins and manatees...seriously.

My go-to setup is:

Chum the incoming or outgoing tide (I prefer high) about 15 minutes prior to dropping a line.

Rattle float rig with a live bait.  Cast close, in the direction of the tide, and near neighboring structure.

Sliding sinker rig with fresh cut bait. Cast far, opposite direction of the tide.  I like to put this one "just off the ledge" if you will...near structure, but edging towards the middle of the canal.

I throw those in rod-holders with jingle-bell tip clamps.  That frees me up to manage my "active line" which I either freeline a live bait, or work a jighead...both towards the structure directly opposite the canal.  

John k wrote at 2016-05-05 12:52:19
https://youtu.be/W4dFe51pS84 Check these videos, I try to explain a few techniques.

Saltwater Fishing

Trevor Sok