Satellite Communications/Viterbi FEC coding vs Turbo codes FEC coding in VSAT

Question
Hi Tirumala,

1. I'll like to enquire what are the advantages and disadvantages of using  for FEC coding and using Turbo codes for FEC coding in a VSAT link.

2. If I use in my VSAT link, a  FEC coding with code rate of 3/4 and a Turbo code FEC coding with code rate 3/4, how will each FEC coding affect my VSAT link in terms of data rate, bandwidth and power?

Thanks.

Answer
Hello Mr Jyson,
Turbo coding is the most suitable energy efficient and FEC is a simple error correction version with its variants. Specially for satellite communications applications using VSATs power is the main consideration: VSATs operate at very low power levels compared to Earth Stations. So the up link from VSATs require better coding for power efficiency than throughput.
The mathematical problem is academic and you can refer any text book or Handbook. (I do not solve examination problems in All Experts,  nor design examples please!).
Hope you understand the advantage of Turbo coding.
Cheers/GTRao

Satellite Communications

TIRUMALA RAO G