Satellite Communications/radiation pattern

I have an antenna of 9 mts before to talk to the satellite operators they
ask me what is my radiation pattern in my reception

How can I do my radiation pattern in the reception
what are the terms?

Thank you Im looking forward for your answer

Have a nice day

Antenna Pattern
Antenna Pattern  

Please refer to the following websites for a detailed answer to your question. indicates that a radiation pattern defines the variation of the power radiated by an antenna as a function of the direction away from the antenna. This power variation as a function of the arrival angle is observed in the antenna's far field. defines the far field and the conditions that must be satisfied to be in the far-field region. provides a menu relating to antenna measurements and it describes the equipment that you will need: the source antenna; the transmitting systems; the test antenna; the receiving system; and the positioning system. describes the various types of ranges. describes how to measure the antenna gain as a function of the spherical angles theta (ϴ) and phi (Ф). Please note the caveat near the end of this web page: the radiation pattern that you measure is correct for a given polarization of the source antenna.

The attached figure illustrates what you might expect to find. It shows gain versus theta (ϴ).

I hope that this answers your question satisfactorily. If it does not, please get back to me. However, if it does, I would appreciate it if you would complete the survey.

Mis mejores deseos para el Aņo Nuevo.

Thomas E. Burke, PhD, PMP

Satellite Communications

Thomas E. Burke

No restrictions on questions.

Forty years of experience with satellite communications. Have held roles as system engineer on JPL Mariner 9 program and a program manager for a number of classified communication satellite programs. Served as head of TRW / Defense Communications Division / Engineering Development Operation, a 1,400-person organization responsible for all aspects of classified communication satellite design and development.

Ph.D. Chemistry, California Institute of Technology (1969) B.A. magna cum laude Chemistry, University of Minnesota (1962)