Satellite Communications/G/T constellation

Question
Hello,
Hope you are doing good.

How do I get the G/T constellation (G/T values spread across the beam coverage) for a particular beam.I searched for the same on satellite providers website and other online media but could not find the same.

Thank you in advance.

Answer
Mayur:

I assume that you are interested in G/T for a ground antenna such as a VSAT terminal.

The following Wikipedia has a good description of antenna gain-to-noise temperature. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antenna_gain-to-noise-temperature.  

Although the article does not mention it, the antenna temperature will vary with antenna pointing angle. If pointed at zenith, the main beam sees the 4 Kelvin sky and the back lobe sees the warm Earth. When pointed at the horizon, the main beam sees both 4 Kelvin sky and warm Earth; the side lobes, which have substantially higher gain than the back lobes, will see the warm Earth.

Here is a link to a G/T calculator. http://www.satcom.co.uk/article.asp?article=23. Unfortunately, it uses one value of G at a time; it does not use a gain distribution, which you will need to calculate the G/T constellation.

I am sorry that I cannot be of more assistance. There were no details in your question: antenna diameter, frequency, details about the RF string behind the antenna, details about satellite pointing and if pointing is fixed versus tracking.

Thomas E. Burke, PhD, PMP

Satellite Communications

Thomas E. Burke