Satellite Communications/Satellite Communication

If my signal is QPSK modulated having data rate 100 Mbps, FEC-1/2 rate and without any pulse shaping filter, then how much bandwidth is required for distortion-less transmission?

Can post modulation filtering be done to save the bandwidth and what is minimum bandwidth required?

First question:
Please refer to
Assuming that 100 Mbps is the information rate, the values that you provided result in following:
Data rate (Mbps) = 200
Symbol Rate = 100 Msym/s
3-dB BW = 100 MHz
Occupied BW = 119 MHz
Allocated BW = 135 MHz
Second question:
It is good practice to place a low-pass filter between modulator and HPA to reduce the level of higher-frequency harmonics. If you tried to reduced occupied bandwidth with a combination of low- and high-pass filters, I believe that you would distort the signal.
I hope that this was helpful.
Thomas E. Burke

Satellite Communications

Thomas E. Burke

No restrictions on questions.

Forty years of experience with satellite communications. Have held roles as system engineer on JPL Mariner 9 program and a program manager for a number of classified communication satellite programs. Served as head of TRW / Defense Communications Division / Engineering Development Operation, a 1,400-person organization responsible for all aspects of classified communication satellite design and development.

Ph.D. Chemistry, California Institute of Technology (1969) B.A. magna cum laude Chemistry, University of Minnesota (1962)