Satellite Communications/Spectral Efficiency Calculations

Sir Expert.

I want to understand how to calculate the spectral efficiency for one determinate Bandwidth allocated to a satellite carrier according to the bandwidth calculations.

1+delta=Roll of Factor.

To be more precisally i already calculated the occupied BW.

Please refer to following Wikipedia article:

Spectral efficiency, spectrum efficiency or bandwidth efficiency refers to the information rate that can be transmitted over a given bandwidth in a specific communication system. It is a measure of how efficiently a limited frequency spectrum is utilized by the physical layer protocol, and sometimes by the media access control (the channel access protocol).

The link spectral efficiency of a digital communication system is measured in bit/s/Hz, or, less frequently but unambiguously, in (bit/s)/Hz. It is the net bitrate (useful information rate excluding error-correcting codes) or maximum throughput divided by the bandwidth in hertz of a communication channel or a data link.

I cannot answer your question without knowledge of the modulation scheme.

Thomas E. Burke, PhD

Satellite Communications

Thomas E. Burke

No restrictions on questions.

Forty years of experience with satellite communications. Have held roles as system engineer on JPL Mariner 9 program and a program manager for a number of classified communication satellite programs. Served as head of TRW / Defense Communications Division / Engineering Development Operation, a 1,400-person organization responsible for all aspects of classified communication satellite design and development.

Ph.D. Chemistry, California Institute of Technology (1969) B.A. magna cum laude Chemistry, University of Minnesota (1962)