Satellite Communications/Carrier Slope

Question
Link
Link  
Hello Thomas,

I had a uplink link and when I see the carrier there a slope in the carrier Im using 8PSK modulation but me link can not LOCK  but when I changed to 8QAM  modulation the link LOCK without problem

Why??

Im looking forward for your answer
Have a nice day

Answer
Eduardo:

Good to hear from you again. I hope that all is well apart from your lock problem.

I believe your problem is due to the fact that m-QAM modulation schemes are more efficient the m-PSK modulation schemes.

I have not found details for 8QAM and 8PSK, but have found data for 16QAM and 16PSK. http://www.dsplog.com/2008/03/29/comparing-16psk-vs-16qam-for-symbol-error-rate/

The reference shows that for a symbol error rate of 0.0001 (1X10^-4), 16QAM requires 19 dB of Es/N0 whereas 16PSK requires 23 dB, a four dB disadvantage.

To summarize…

8PSK is less efficient that 8QAM (probably by about 4 dB).

The roll off observed probably has no connection to your inability to synch.

I hope that this helps.

Thomas Burke, PhD, PMP  

Satellite Communications

Thomas E. Burke