Satellite Communications/Spreading in In-Flight Satellite communication to reduce interference

Question
Hi Thomas,

I am new to the Satellite communication industry, I work as a Satellite communication engineer and i have to do a lot Link budget analysis. But where i am having problem is when to specify spreading for in-flight satellite communication in my link budget analysis, there are regulations that states that you can transmitter a certain amount of power in the aircraft from the Antenna to mitigate against Adjacent Satellite Interference and Interference in to other aircraft antenna. can you please explain the concept of in-route speed spreading and the ITU or FCC regulation associated with it. You can also suggest any book that i can read to help or website to go too.

Thank you
TEMI

Answer
Temi:

Let me try to rephrase your question… You are interested in calculating the link budget for an aircraft that is communicating via satellite to a ground station that is beyond line-of-sight.

You should review the following ITU report: “Examples of technical characteristics for unmanned aircraft control and non-payload communications links.” http://www.itu.int/dms_pub/itu-r/opb/rep/R-REP-M.2233-2011-MSW-E.docx

Annex 1 deals with line-of-sight operations that do not use a satellite and would not be of interest to you.

Annexes 2 – 4 deal with beyond line-of-sight operations in various frequency bands.

I hope that you will find this report to be useful.

Thomas E. Burke, PhD, PMP

Satellite Communications

Thomas E. Burke