Saudi Arabia/Life in Yanbu


Ankur wrote at 2014-06-18 03:40:50
Hi Mark,

       I would like your help regarding yanbu in saudi arabia. I have got offer from SABIC in yanbu with a bsic salary of 11000 SAR + 1000 SAR for transportatiopn.Family accomodation will be provided by the company.

My wife is a maths and science teacher and my daughter is 3 years old going to playschool.

I wnated to know how is yanbu for family life.

Will my wife be able to get a job there

What is the school eduatio quality and medical services there.

Considering basic expenses will 11000 SAR be sufficient

Can u please shed some light on SABIC and its work culture if you know

Thanks and regards,


Saudi Arabia

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Mark Lasater


All kinds of issues dealing with children transitioning to Saudi Arabia (specifically Yanbu and Jubail). This is particularly the case if your moving from the US. Can I find special ed. services in Yanbu? How do my child's High School credits transfer from or to an American or Canadian school? What kinds of activities are available either independently our through schools in the Yanbu/Jubail area? What are the schools like in Yanbu and Jubail?


My wife and I have spent the last four years in Saudi, three years in Jubail and one in Yanbu. We both work for the International Schools Group. I'm a counselor/vice-principal and my wife is a teacher. We've worked abroad now for 8 years, spending four years in Taskent, Uzbekistan before coming here. However, as I'm part of ISG, I have access to a vast range of experiences and knowledge. ISG has several hundred employees in seven campuses, if I don't know the answer about something educational, I can find somebody who does.

National Education Association(NEA), National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC), National Association of School Counselors (NASC)

Bachelor degree in Elementary education-Licensed in Kansas to teach math, reading, science, elementary counseling and secondary counseling (12 years experience in the US), Masters Degree in Counseling, Certified Professional Counselor (Kansas Licensed), currently working on an administrative degree. My Wife-- bachelor early childhood special ed., Masters in Early Childhood Education, Masters in Early Childhood Special ed. 8 years working in early childhood Special ed in the US-- We both have course work in ESL, enough for a license endorsement, but we've not actually done it

©2017 All rights reserved.