Saudi Arabia/cipralex


I am moving to yanbu. I take cipralex and clonazepam for GAD. Can I take these meds with me to KSA? Where Can I find a psychiatrist in yanbu to get prescription? Can these meds be easily purchased?


You need to make contact with the health office in whatever agency is helping you with the move.

They need to answer this question for you authoritatively before you get on a plane.

To the best of my knowledge, the local hospital has no psychiatric services.

My opinion, un-medical as it may be, you need to really consider what would happen if you had a major episode here.  Never worked with an adult with GAD, but the kids I've worked with need their meds and need to have pretty regular monitoring of those meds.  I wouldn't trust a doctor here to do that.  You know your condition.  I just think that begin dragged onto a plane and sent home while heavily sedated after a panic attack would not be a good thing.

You hear rumors about people here who had a bit of break, you generally hear about it because that somebody suddenly vanishes.  

I really, really don't want to say anything that makes you think that psychotropic drugs are something you could get here or find someone who could manage their administration.  

Saudi Arabia

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Mark Lasater


All kinds of issues dealing with children transitioning to Saudi Arabia (specifically Yanbu and Jubail). This is particularly the case if your moving from the US. Can I find special ed. services in Yanbu? How do my child's High School credits transfer from or to an American or Canadian school? What kinds of activities are available either independently our through schools in the Yanbu/Jubail area? What are the schools like in Yanbu and Jubail?


My wife and I have spent the last four years in Saudi, three years in Jubail and one in Yanbu. We both work for the International Schools Group. I'm a counselor/vice-principal and my wife is a teacher. We've worked abroad now for 8 years, spending four years in Taskent, Uzbekistan before coming here. However, as I'm part of ISG, I have access to a vast range of experiences and knowledge. ISG has several hundred employees in seven campuses, if I don't know the answer about something educational, I can find somebody who does.

National Education Association(NEA), National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC), National Association of School Counselors (NASC)

Bachelor degree in Elementary education-Licensed in Kansas to teach math, reading, science, elementary counseling and secondary counseling (12 years experience in the US), Masters Degree in Counseling, Certified Professional Counselor (Kansas Licensed), currently working on an administrative degree. My Wife-- bachelor early childhood special ed., Masters in Early Childhood Education, Masters in Early Childhood Special ed. 8 years working in early childhood Special ed in the US-- We both have course work in ESL, enough for a license endorsement, but we've not actually done it

©2017 All rights reserved.