You are here:

Saudi Arabia/Visa for Step children to KSA


My husband is KSA. I have 3 children (all less than 12 years old) from a previous marriage. We want to live with him in KSA. Do I need to get all of them adopted by him and change their names to his to be able to get the residential visas for the kids? Will adoption be enough? Are there any other ways to get the visa?
Thank you.
Best Regards

You need to find a lawyer for this.

You hear rumors but you never know what is true, so, to be safe, you need to find an attorney.

I have heard that that Saudi Arabia does not honor foreign adoptions.  I also understand that marriages between Saudi's and other nationalities are not honored unless that marriage was first approved by the Saudi government.

It is my understanding that these laws were passed because Saudi's commonly marry women from other countries and then abandon them.  Those women then show up at a Saudi consulate with marriage and adoption certificates/birth certificates and want to be made Saudi citizens.  This law stops that practice.

But, again, don't take my word for it, find a real expert in Saudi family law.

Saudi Arabia

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Mark Lasater


All kinds of issues dealing with children transitioning to Saudi Arabia (specifically Yanbu and Jubail). This is particularly the case if your moving from the US. Can I find special ed. services in Yanbu? How do my child's High School credits transfer from or to an American or Canadian school? What kinds of activities are available either independently our through schools in the Yanbu/Jubail area? What are the schools like in Yanbu and Jubail?


My wife and I have spent the last four years in Saudi, three years in Jubail and one in Yanbu. We both work for the International Schools Group. I'm a counselor/vice-principal and my wife is a teacher. We've worked abroad now for 8 years, spending four years in Taskent, Uzbekistan before coming here. However, as I'm part of ISG, I have access to a vast range of experiences and knowledge. ISG has several hundred employees in seven campuses, if I don't know the answer about something educational, I can find somebody who does.

National Education Association(NEA), National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC), National Association of School Counselors (NASC)

Bachelor degree in Elementary education-Licensed in Kansas to teach math, reading, science, elementary counseling and secondary counseling (12 years experience in the US), Masters Degree in Counseling, Certified Professional Counselor (Kansas Licensed), currently working on an administrative degree. My Wife-- bachelor early childhood special ed., Masters in Early Childhood Education, Masters in Early Childhood Special ed. 8 years working in early childhood Special ed in the US-- We both have course work in ESL, enough for a license endorsement, but we've not actually done it

©2017 All rights reserved.