You are here:

Saudi Arabia/Blacklisted in Saudi arabia?


I left Saudi Arabiain 1996. At that time I owed a lot of money on my credit card and had been unable to pay. I have a new chance to go to Saudi now with a new passport and new passport number. Will I be detained at the airport and deported?
I am sure I was blacklisted for the debt but that was with the old passport and it was 17 years ago. Please advise. Thank you.

I am not an expert on Saudi law, but I think you're a bit confused.

In the US, if you owe money to a bank, they will hound you about it.  You won't be able to get another loan or another credit card.  It will effect your ability to get a job where you might have access to someone else's money.  They won't have you arrested and thrown in jail.

In Saudi Arabia, the phone company maintains a black list of people who owe them small amounts of money.  They won't turn your phone back on if you don't pay the money.  They will put your name on a list such that you will be stopped at immigration and not allowed to leave Saudi.  I believe that they will let you in, just not out.  They will also not throw you in jail

If you owe a bank a large sum of money, say you neglected to pay off or return the car for a car loan.  The bank won't make you another loan, but they will also give your name to the police and your name will go on a list of criminals.  If you re-enter the country you will be arrested and held till you pay off the loan.  They will throw you in jail.

I suspect there is a point where dead-beat becomes criminal, but I don't know what that point is and it would take a lawyer to figure it out.  It was a long time ago that you left the country.  So, which list were you on when you left Saudi?  A dead-beat might be ok, they may have let it go.  A criminal warrant for defrauding the bank, I'll bet they won't have forgotten about.

Saudi Arabia

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Mark Lasater


All kinds of issues dealing with children transitioning to Saudi Arabia (specifically Yanbu and Jubail). This is particularly the case if your moving from the US. Can I find special ed. services in Yanbu? How do my child's High School credits transfer from or to an American or Canadian school? What kinds of activities are available either independently our through schools in the Yanbu/Jubail area? What are the schools like in Yanbu and Jubail?


My wife and I have spent the last four years in Saudi, three years in Jubail and one in Yanbu. We both work for the International Schools Group. I'm a counselor/vice-principal and my wife is a teacher. We've worked abroad now for 8 years, spending four years in Taskent, Uzbekistan before coming here. However, as I'm part of ISG, I have access to a vast range of experiences and knowledge. ISG has several hundred employees in seven campuses, if I don't know the answer about something educational, I can find somebody who does.

National Education Association(NEA), National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC), National Association of School Counselors (NASC)

Bachelor degree in Elementary education-Licensed in Kansas to teach math, reading, science, elementary counseling and secondary counseling (12 years experience in the US), Masters Degree in Counseling, Certified Professional Counselor (Kansas Licensed), currently working on an administrative degree. My Wife-- bachelor early childhood special ed., Masters in Early Childhood Education, Masters in Early Childhood Special ed. 8 years working in early childhood Special ed in the US-- We both have course work in ESL, enough for a license endorsement, but we've not actually done it

©2017 All rights reserved.