Saxophone/Rene Guenot Saxophone

arban wrote at 2016-03-08 23:47:16
René Guénot is a french brand which started in the twenties. Later , in the early thirties René Guénot sold his brand to Albert Douchet. Thereafter, the horns appear with both names on the bell.

In the twenties the factory was located rue Beaurepaire in Paris. I've seen on the web, one René Guénot "modele 1928" with the serial number "2000". So yours must have been made around 1925-26.

In several houses (Pierret for example), it was the custom to make check the new saxes by a member of the "garde républicaine)" (presidential marching band ) But the René Guénot's saxophone were not specially made for army. There were several models, and according the quality made for "sociétés de musique" (music societies) or "artistes de jazz" (jazz artists).

I have one alto from the early forties and I can say it s a very nice horn, with a smooth sound,and very easy to play

Saxophone

Eugene Cantera