Saxophone/Rene Guenot Saxophone

arban wrote at 2016-03-08 23:47:16
René Guénot is a french brand which started in the twenties. Later , in the early thirties René Guénot sold his brand to Albert Douchet. Thereafter, the horns appear with both names on the bell.

In the twenties the factory was located rue Beaurepaire in Paris. I've seen on the web, one René Guénot "modele 1928" with the serial number "2000". So yours must have been made around 1925-26.

In several houses (Pierret for example), it was the custom to make check the new saxes by a member of the "garde républicaine)" (presidential marching band ) But the René Guénot's saxophone were not specially made for army. There were several models, and according the quality made for "sociétés de musique" (music societies) or "artistes de jazz" (jazz artists).

I have one alto from the early forties and I can say it s a very nice horn, with a smooth sound,and very easy to play

Eugene Cantera

I have been a music educator for over 25 years and have taught on many levels from young children and school agers on through to college level, professional players and senior citizens. My main areas of expertise are saxophone(s) though I have taught many instruments including, guitar, bass, piano, oboe and drums to name a few. I have also done research on horns both vintage and new.

I have been in music education for 25 years and I have written and published in the subject of professional music education.

The Dallas Morning News, Dallas Business Journal, Marketing and Higher Education Newsletter.

Bachelor of Music Education, Hartt School of Music - The University of Hartford.