Saxophone/Richmond Tenor Sax

Ken wrote at 2014-06-13 17:29:32
Hi Arthur:

Your question is a few years old however others might be interested. A Richmond Sax query seems to pop up about every 3 or 4 yrs!!

I acquired my Richmond Alto (Made in Italy Serial #B 3312) as a hand me down from my sister in 1962. Where she got it know one knows and probably paid under $100. I played this from 1963 until 1980 and it is now framed as an antique. In today's terms is would barely make a low quality student instrument, however, I played it in high school, university, Lions Marching band, a successful rock band and numerous concert bands and amazingly even won music competitions with it. Obviously, it's more about the talent behind the mouthpiece!! HaHa.

I trust most Richmonds were designed and built in Italy and some would say should have stayed in Italy. Mechanically, the one I have is poorly designed and sounds worse than mediocre. It's the same difference between a tricycle and a 4 dr Cadillac.

Give it away....and go and try a Selmer Mark VI.

Cheers and good luck.

Ken

Calgary, Alberta  

Saxophone

Just Saxes, New Orleans