Saxophone/"Artist" Stencil Tenor Sax

Jeff wrote at 2012-08-16 14:56:28
I recently acquired an "Artist" stenciled soprano sax with japan stamped near the thumb hook. My repairman who I take my yamaha alto and tenor to suggested that it is likely a Yanagisawa s6 from the year stamp ('74). I've done some other searching and found similar conclusions. The s6 was Yani's answer to Selmer's mark VI. Hope this helps.

flojac wrote at 2013-12-21 18:10:29
I found a Malerne "ARTIST" tenor sax and was thinking of buying it. any insight into the quality of the horn and how it plays, sounds, etc...

Eugene Cantera

I have been a music educator for over 25 years and have taught on many levels from young children and school agers on through to college level, professional players and senior citizens. My main areas of expertise are saxophone(s) though I have taught many instruments including, guitar, bass, piano, oboe and drums to name a few. I have also done research on horns both vintage and new.

I have been in music education for 25 years and I have written and published in the subject of professional music education.

The Dallas Morning News, Dallas Business Journal, Marketing and Higher Education Newsletter.

Bachelor of Music Education, Hartt School of Music - The University of Hartford.