Saxophone/Buescher True Tone Alto saxophone

Question
Hi Grant, I have a Buescher True Tone alto sax with serial 210403, can you tell me some information about this instrument's "pedigree" (for lack of a better word)? The intent is to have it fully overhauled so I can play it NOT sell, but want to make sure I don't spend too much more than the instrument would be worth, if it comes to that. Thanks very much for your help. Best regards...

Answer
Hello Laura, You have asked a good question for the All-Experts website. By the serial number it would be a Buescher True Tone Series III. The Buescher True Tones were made from 1905 until 1932. Your Alto saxophone,(by looking at the serial number records), was made in late 1926. The 1914 date is a patent date. Buescher is the same top brand of sax that the eminent saxophonist Sigurd Raschèr (1907-2001) played in his Raschèr Saxophone Ensemble, and it's featured exclusively during his classical saxophone career. These are wonderful handmade saxophones from the glory days of the American Saxophone Craze(1915-1930). Finishes available were: bare brass, silver plated (satin body, bright keys and accents, most common],
silver plated body (satin) with gold plated keys, gold plate (satin body, bright keys and accents), thick quadruple gold plate, all hand burnished (shiny), Same as above but engraved from the underside of the bell rim to the neck, with Ivory rollers.
Elkhart Industries, refers to the town of Elkhart, Indiana where the Conn, Selmer USA, Martin, and Buescher factories all were located. Here's some history for you... The Buescher Manufacturing Company was founded by Ferdinand August "Gus" Buescher in 1894. In 1926, the Buescher Band Instrument Company was joined with the Elkhart Band Instrument Company. Some people even claim that Buescher was bought out by the Elkhart Band Instrument. In 1963, Buescher was finally sold to H.& A. SELMER, USA, and all Bueschers became student horns. After the sale, Selmer restricted the use of the Buescher trademark to only selected products. Here's the good part..Laura, your Buescher is the real deal, a very collectible wonderful saxophone from 1926 with lots of character. The value will continue to rise. Depending on the condition, it could be worth anywhere from $430(old junky beater) to  about $1100 for a fully reconditioned silver or gold plated mint condition saxophone with original case, mouthpiece, neck, ligature and original lyre Screw. It's worth it to get it fixed up if it's not in bad shape, but sometimes you find these saxes totally trashed, hanging on the wall of the local "Thanks Gods It's Fridays" restaurants. In that case, it's up to you to decide if it worth it to spend anywhere from $350 to $950 on a total overhaul. But keep in mind that the later examples have snap in pads and Norton springs make sure your repairman knows this fact. Your sax should be overhauled with original type snap on pads. Do not let him grind out the snaps!!!  It's a great sax with vintage vibe and it's perfect for jazz or classical! One of a kind! The best looking finish is the silver plate when it's shined up but don't go crazy, use care, or have it professionally polished. I wish you much happiness with your sax.
Good Luck!
Grant "King" Koeller

Saxophone

Grant R. Koeller