Saxophone/Bundy Sax-Sponsored by Selmer 46M sn 54559

Sax Engraving
Sax Engraving  
Sax-image in case
Sax-image in case  
QUESTION: Recently I inherited a saxophone.  I haven't been able to find out any specifics about this particular one and want to make sure it either ends up with a collector if it's valuable or someone who will get some enjoyment from it if it's not.
The length is approximately 29" without the mouthpiece, so I am assuming it's a tenor sax. I shamefully know nothing about saxophones. The engraving on the front is a signature for Geo. M. Bundy, below stacked is
on the back is
46M (the 6 is not lined up, so it's difficult to make out)
L (I think, it's difficult to read)

It was played by my father in law in the 50's when he was in a band in Lake City Florida.  It does appear to be in good condition, but has not been used in decades.
Can you tell me something about it before I do the wrong thing?  Unfortunately the musicians in my family are on the piano and guitar, so it is wasted on us.
Thanks for any guidance.  Glad there are experts out there without an agenda.

ANSWER: Hello Barbara,
You have a beautiful George Bundy stencil that was made by CONN in the late 40's. Conn was number one. It is a low pitch sax which is the modern pitch standard of A=440hz.

From THE WEB..."What is a stencil?" A "stencil" is a word that is specifically supposed to refer to a saxophone built by a major sax manufacturer for another company or storefront. On receipt of the saxophone, the storefront would literally take a stencil and engrave their own name or design on the horn.
American stencil manufactures were generally:
* Conn
* Buescher
* Martin
* Occasionally Holton
* Occasionally HN White (King)
American stencils generally have the following characteristics:
* A different serial number chart than the pro horns form the manufacturer
* Stencil manufacture didn't begin in the US until about 1920
* A reduced feature set than the pro horns (for example, Conn stencils don't have rolled tone holes)
* Generally lower quality control than pro horns
* Designs were generally based on earlier tooling (i.e. body and keywork). For example, if Selmer produced a stencil of their Mark VII, it would have the "look and feel" of the Mark VI.
* Generally cheaper materials were used
* Generally limited engraving
* All American stencils I have seen have been low pitch, A=440hz (modern intonation) horns (I still recommend checking with a tuner, in case some are high pitch and aren't marked)
* Occasionally new designs were released only on stencil models (new keywork, different octave vent designs, etc.). If the design was good, it occasionally found its way onto the pro models
* American stencils were generally made by the lowest bidder for the contract. For instance, if the Vega company requested a bunch of saxophones, they would buy them from whoever was the cheapest supplier: Conn, Buescher, etc. This means that most stencils were not always made by one specific company over the life of the stencil." END WEB CONTENT
The condition is fantastic!!! That Conn looks almost brand new!!!! George Bundy was the president of SELMER USA, and your sax has original finish and extensive engraving. Never get this sax refinished keep it original! Your sax could be worth about $1200-$1600.
Good LUCK!
Grant Koeller

QUESTION: Thank you so much for the information and for responding so quickly.  Is there a way to verify that it has not been re-lacquered.  I've seen another sax that was and had lost much of the stenciling in the process.  If it is worth as much as you've mentioned, then it should probably go to a collector.  My only concern then would be misrepresenting it.  Pictures don't seem to reflect the dull darker tone.  Granted, it's been 30-40 years since it's been out of the case.  But there are no scratches or dents as I've seen on other pieces this age, so that's very nice.
Thank you again for your assistance.  It's greatly appreciated!

Hello Barbara, If the engraving is sharp, it's original Lacquer. Get a second opinion. Please contact a NAPBIRT repair facility, and ask the head tech to look at your sax and appraise it. Your photos look great and show an original lacquer horn. I wish I could see it for real.
good luck! Grant Koeller  

Grant R. Koeller

I'm a Professional Jazz Saxophone soloist recently retired from 23 years with the USAF Band Of Flight, WPAFB, OHIO, experienced in performance, technique and equipment. I'm not a buyer/seller or dealer. I have 40 years Alto, Tenor, Soprano and Bari Saxophone performance experience with additional years on the Flute, Clarinet, Bass Clarinet, Bass Guitar, Piano, Drum-set, Guitar and Voice. I'm a third generation professional military musician, my father, Bill Koeller(1939-1997) was in the USAF 1958-1962, and played Jazz Hammond B-3 organ from 1957-1997, and my fathers Uncle, Alfred Koeller (1912-1993), was a professional Acoustic Bassist in the Army Air Corps in WWII, and also performed on Jazz Guitar, Hammond organ, Piano and tenor saxophone.

Professional Saxophone Soloist, 23 total years with the USAF Bands, 6 years with the USAF Band of Flight, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio, performing on Tenor, Alto, Soprano, Clarinet, and Flute. 4 years in Japan, at Yokota AFB with the USAF Band of the Pacific. An Avid Composer and Arranger for the Night Hawk Protocol Combo. Former Lead Alto Saxophonist with the USAF Night Flight Big Band performing the music of Glenn Miller as well as other hits of the Big Band Era. I collect LP records of Jazz, blue's, classical and rock, and have over 12,000 records.

USAF,Phi MU Alpha Sinfonia, Men's National Music Fraternity, Johnny Mack Super Big Band, Tom Daugherty Orchestra, Kim Kelly Orchestra, Dayton Jazz Orchestra, Eddie Love Big Band, Gem City Big Band, Jazz Central Big Band, Shin Sings Orchestra, Kim Kelly Orchestra,USAF Night Flight Jazz Ensemble, Different Hats Big Band, Jimmy Baker Blues Band, This Side Up, Freelance, KING KOELLER Quartet, Jazz Central Big Band, GB Work, Sax On The Web,

Saxophone On the Web; Anchorage Daily News; All Experts; Augustana College Public Radio, WVIK;

North Texas State University School of Music, Jazz Studies 1982-1986 Lead Alto, Lab bands 1982-83 and small group leader 1983-1984, Jazz Radio Host WVIK 90.1 FM NPR affiliate Rock Island, IL United States Collegiate Wind Band European tour 1980 Augustana College, Rock Island IL, Liberal Arts Music Mentors/Teachers:My father Bill Koeller, a Jazz Hammond B-3 Organist (1939-1997) Great Uncle Alfred Koeller, Acoustic Bass 1912-1993

Paul Shartle Musician of the Quarter Spring 2008; Glenn Miller Festival, Clarinda, Iowa featured soloist; McDonald's All-American Band and Jazz Ensemble 1979; US Collegiate Wind Bands,Paul Lavalle Conductor, tour of Europe,1980; John Phillip Sousa Award, 1980 Dimond HS Anchorage, Alaska; USAF National Defense Service Medal with Bronze Star; USAF Achievement Medal with 5 Oak Leaf Clusters; USAF Good Conduct Medal with 6 Oak Leaf Clusters

Performed with, Bob Hope, The Platters, Four Tops, Jimmy Dorsey, Crystal Gail, Helen Ready, James Williams, Dallas Jazz Orchestra, Jack Jones, The Mills Brothers, the G-Clef's, Lionel Hampton at Carnegie Hall, Performed for the King Of Thailand 2005, Tom "Bone's" Malone, Roy Hargrove, Tommy Turrentine, Performed for President Gerald Ford, President George W. Bush, The Maguire Sisters, The USO Girls-Andrew Sisters Tribute, The Four Lads, Lincoln Berry, The Dayton Jazz Orchestra, Louis Bellson, Buddy DeFranco, Walter Bishop Jr, Sadao Watanabe, Bobby Shew, Pete Jolly, Quad City Jazz Ensemble, Augustana College Symphonic Band, Jack Scott, Catfish Jazz Society, Intrigue-Boston Wedding Band, The Mark Herbert Little Big Band, The Pacesetters Big Band, The Ambassadors Jazz Ensemble, Pacific Showcase Big Band, Jimmy Dorsey Big Band under the direction of Lee Castle, Ronny Scott Orchestra, Big Al's Hot Dance Orchestra, The Dayton Sidewinders, Tom Daugherty Orchestra, Johnny Mack Super Big Band, Ken Peplowski, Eddie Daniels, Buddy Guy, Roy Hargrove, Warren Parrish, John OMeara Jr., Dave Holcomb, Albia Silva,Vinnie Demartino, Clon VonFitz, The G Clef's