Saxophone/Elkhart 21A built by Buescher Sax

Question
I just acquired an old sax with a serial number of 89699  21A  and I know it is a second line sax. It is in original condition, with some minor pitting in the lacquer finish.  Is there a way of putting a value on it.  It has an E-Z tone black mouthpiece and comes with the original case. Thanks  Rod

Answer
Hello Rod,
Please go to ebay and look at their pricing, this is the best way to see the value or lack of value in any old vintage saxophone. You have a second line horn. What's a "Second-Line" Instrument? The best way of thinking of a second-line instrument is that they are intermediate model horns sold by a major saxophone manufacturer.  so let's deal with the most common American second-line:
* The Conn Pan-American
* The Martin Indiana
* The King Cleveland
* The Buescher Elkhart
In all the above cases EXCEPT for Conn, the name of the second-line instrument comes from the name of a company that was bought out (for example, the Indiana Band Instrument company was purchased by Martin). In all cases, these horns generally follow the rules for stencils, except that they were actually sold by the companies that produced them -- they just had different names on the bell.  Your sax is great! Second line does not mean student line....Your Buescher Elkhart saxophone is a sort-of a stencil: an Elkhart-labeled horn is an older True Tone model, made with the same old tooling, but made from the 1930-1940's The Elkhart, however, is engraved as such and was available in lacquer. The quality of second-line horns was generally higher than their stencil brethren. It has a different serial number chart than the Buescher. Your sax is good, heck very good, but it's Buescher's second line. Made for the growing number of high school marching bands. There was a higher demand for educational instruments and the big 4 responded by making second line horns. The serial number info for the second line does not match the parent company. Elkharts are fantastic saxophones, made by the same skilled craftsman in Elkhart, Indiana that made the original Buescher's. A sax like yours could be worth, depending on the condition, about $500-$850, in original lacquer. If it's been re-lacquered, it will be worth less, but it's still a great choice for a college or high school sax student, or a part time big band performer. One thing is certain, a saxophone made in Elkhart ,Indiana is going to play and sound great! Please have a professional Band Instrument technician do the once over on this sax to identify any possible problems, you know... bad pads, air leaks, minor dents, the keys should be oiled with a micro oil-er, a sax is really a machine. There are many moving parts that need to be lubricated, the neck cork needs to be greased with a high quality cork grease, and the thumb screw threads will need oiling. I like to oil where the neck meets the body, It's called the neck tenon, oil it, work it round and round, then wipe both sides off with a paper towel. Get a  quartz tuner, and put an Ink mark where A 440 is on the neck cork. Play the concert Bb tuning note, it's a high G for you....This sax is perfect for the blues jams, old saxophones are very cool... I bet the tone is killer! Good luck!
Grant Koeller  

Saxophone

Grant R. Koeller