Saxophone/Evette & Schaeffer Alto Sax

Question
missing upper key
missing upper key  

alto
alto  
I recently purchased an Evette & Schaeffer alto saxophone that was built in 1912. It does look old but I was surprised when I did some research and discovered that it is 100 years old!  It is not in too bad shape but does need some work and at least two parts.
I would like to restore it to playing condition. The two parts that are missing ate of concern to me though. The most obvious missing part is the neck. The other missing part is a key towards the top of the horn where the neck goes. What is the likelihood of finding these parts and restoring this sax?

Thank you.

Answer
Hello Brandon.
That is a really old Evette & Schaeffer alto saxophone that was built in 1912. It is very similar to a Buescher true tone alto. Any Selmer USA Bundy neck should fit, but to be sure you need to contact a local NAPBIRT repair tech. They can fit the neck to the neck tenon. First of all they have to measure it with calipers and get the thousandth of an inch reading and go from there. Now, the missing key might be harder to find, but the professional tech can make one, or steal one from a parts sax. Any great tech will have tons of parts and brass junk laying around their shop. When this horn is all fixed up, this will be a historic sax. It will cost you about $350 to $850 to get this sax up and playing, but what ever you do, please leave the finish original!!!! Do not re lacquer it! Back then most saxophones were bare brass. This sax looks to be bare brass also. You will notice many keys on your horn that are missing from modern day saxophones. (G# trill, fork Eb) and you will also notice this sax is missing some modern day keys (no front High F key, and no right hand high E key). All in all, when finished, this sax could be worth about $975 to $1200. But ones things for sure, it's historic, it's collectible and it's rare... They just don't make them like this anymore...It could be a great jazz or classical sax. One last thing.... if it says "H" or high pitch (A=456), please don't waste your money fixing it up. It cannot be played in modern music without being out of tune...If the sax says Low pitch (A=440) or the letter L, then it's great! Perfect for today's pitch standard. Sometime old saxophones deserve to be brought back and played!
Good Luck,
Grant Koeller

Saxophone

Grant R. Koeller