Saxophone/Tenor Saxophone

I have a vintage saxophone that I can't find anything about. It was purchased used in the late 80s. Written on the bell is Ida Maria Grassi made in Italy. There is a serial number on the body, 11528. It's been sitting in its case for years, I was wondering if it's worth anything? It looks brand new except for one key. Otherwise lovely. I could take some pictures if needed.

Cheryl - Here is some GREAT information about these horns:

This site also has nice photos and a passage about age as well as some other useful info for owner. It seems your horn may have been made int the 1960's. These horns have surprisingly held their value over the years - I've seen them go for as much as $1,000+ in good condition. The tough part of this is finding a buyer or collector - they are not well known outside of hardcore sax-o-philes so a local shop may not be the best place to sell.  

Eugene Cantera

I have been a music educator for over 25 years and have taught on many levels from young children and school agers on through to college level, professional players and senior citizens. My main areas of expertise are saxophone(s) though I have taught many instruments including, guitar, bass, piano, oboe and drums to name a few. I have also done research on horns both vintage and new.

I have been in music education for 25 years and I have written and published in the subject of professional music education.

The Dallas Morning News, Dallas Business Journal, Marketing and Higher Education Newsletter.

Bachelor of Music Education, Hartt School of Music - The University of Hartford.