Saxophone/Vitacoustic alto saxophone

My parents bought me a new alto saxophone with the name of "Vitacoustic" on the bell from a music store in around 1960.  It was made in West Germany. This is the only information that I have and have not been unable to find any other information about it on the internet.  Could you give me information regarding the manufacturer or any information regarding this brand of saxophone?  I played it for many years and have really liked its sound and have passed it on to other family members to play. Thank you very much!

Hi Carol,

Sorry for the slow response, I have been doing research on your instrument. There were four saxophone manufacturers in West Germany in that time period: 1. Keiwerth 2. Amati 3. Kohlert 4. Dörfler Jörka.  All were pretty decent manufacturers. Keilwerth still produces high quality horns, Amati deals in good quality as does Kohlert. D/J apparently is no longer in business. If this horn is given a high quality mechanical rebuild and tuned properly it will hold its own against anything! Let me know if I can help you with that as well. Have a blessed day!

Jeff Frazier
Owner/Master Tech - J and J Woodwinds

Jeff Frazier

Any questions related to the repair, refinishing and restoration of band instruments (woodwinds and brass).

I am co-owner J and J Woodwinds LLC, a full service repair and restoration facility locatd in Shreveport, Louisiana. We have been in business since 1985 providing customers worldwide with the repairs and restorations that many will not do!

Apprenticed under one of the finest repairmen in the business at Williams music in the late 1970's/early 1980's. His brother is listed as one of the top band instrument repair techs in the nation!

Featured on KTBS 3 (Shreveport, La) in October 2009

US Army Band, US Navy Band, US Air Force Band, beginner and pro players across the globe