Saxophone/Buescher Saxophone

Question
Our son(11)began playing the saxophone in July this past summer. His instructor is amazed at the pace of learning he has shown. After his first recital this past Saturday, our aunt called us over to her house and gave him my uncle's jazz saxophone. My aunt said that my uncle bought it when he was in high school. He played in the Air Force Jazz Band at Keesler Air Force Base in Biloxi, MS, the Coast Big Band, and as my aunt would say, "Lots of great little bars all over the place!" We would love to know a little more about it (ie what year model if possible). He also had a case of mouthpieces that our son got. A couple of them are brass (solid metal) and our instructor said that he thought one of them was a custom made piece. It has Aristocrat on the bell along with True Tone. The word Buescher is stamped on the G# key and the numbers on the back are 278320.

Thanks in advance for any information you can give us.

Answer
Hello Amy,
Your Uncle and I both served in the USAF bands. I remember when the Keesler band was deactivated at the same time my band, Chanute AFB "USAF Band of the Midwest" was deactivated. Your uncle had a pro Buescher but I need to see some photos. You never told me if it's an alto or tenor. Looking up the serial numbers show this sax was made in 1937 and was called the Aristocrat series one "Art Deco".
Here is more info from the web...
 ARISTOCRAT (series One) 270XXX 290XXX
Tenors and alto horns only. The others were still basically True Tones. These are really nice players, much sought after. You'll be unlikely to find them in anything but lacquer. Add 20% for silver. These horns are much more desirable than any of their ancestors. Value in mint condition...
Alto $ 1800
Tenor $ 2300
End web content...
Well, there you have it... I'm dying to see this great classic sax. Just remember one golden rule with vintage saxophones, they are not toys, and should be kept far away from kids. Your son is way too young for this sax, all it takes is one drop and thats it. I wouldn't give this sax to my son and he's 18...A kid would have to earn a sax this beautiful by taking private lessons for 5 years and working his tail off. Remember this is a one of a kind vintage professional saxophone. Give this sax to your son when he turns 16...he can still learn on his student Yamaha, vito or bundy. They are student saxophones designed to take the punishment a kid can deliver. Those mouthpieces are not for kids either. If the mouthpiece gets dropped, it's gone forever. Your son should be playing on a high quality student mouthpiece.(Selmer C* or Vandoren. The metal mouthpieces were used for rock and roll and jazz. If your son sticks with the sax and gets really great, then this sax is perfect for him. I have met many kids who quit band, never to play again. His teacher sounds awesome though. I can't wait to see some photos.
good luck,
Grant Koeller  

Saxophone

Grant R. Koeller