Saxophone/Evette Schaeffer Saxophone

Question
I have the Evette Schaeffer with the rounded label attatched on the front of the instrument which says Evette &
schaeffer BUFFET and under those words are Paris France. There is a rose engraved also on the front of the instrument. Is the label a mistake put there because of the nails used? I want to know what it may be worth. The serial number is 33960. Any help you could give me will be greatly appreciated. Thank you again.

Answer
Hello Martha, Thank you for your question here on All Experts. They were made from the late sixties into the mid seventies. The brand name 'Evette Schaeffer' was first introduced in the late 1800s by Buffet and used into the 1910's or 1920's. In the late sixties, Buffet apparently revived the name for some student instruments produced for the American market and mostly distributed through Carl Fischer in New York. Typical for student instruments from that period are the gold body and the silver keys. The bodies were made by Malerne, also a French sax producer. The engraving on your Evette Schaeffer is original Malerne. If you compare pictures of a Malerne from that period with those of Buffet's 'Super Dynaction' (which was produced by Buffet themselves as a more professional instrument), you will notice that the body, engraving and octave key are from Malerne and the rest of the key work from Buffet. The little plaque on the bell support with the flower seems to be the only original element on these instruments - the Malerne has a simple curved rod, the Dynaction a plaque with a different design.  The brand name 'Evette Schaeffer' now is used by Keilwerth or that they produce them for Buffet as student Model instruments. These saxophones are solid, well made and durable. Your sax is from about 1969.  On the web was a similar saxophone Evette-Schaeffer Alto Sax, Made in France with the Serial Number 14302; circa 1967. This horn was also made by Malerne as evidenced by the: LH pinkie table, low C spatula and "tulip" shape on the bell keys key-guard). This makes it part of the "Buffet family". Buffet was the top instrument for classical sax players in the 60s-70s because famous soloist Daniel Deffayet contributions by working with them. Your sax looks to be in fine condition. The finish is looks great. How is the playing action and adjustment? Are the pads nice and conditioned or are they getting old and cracked? How does it play...like a dream? These saxophones are exquisitely beautiful horns that will last a lifetime...and probably  will be handed down after you are gone. By the way, A new Yamaha YAS-23 retails for about $1759 on Musician's Friend website. They're great student horns, but eventually, any evolving student will start on the quest for a better tone. This instrument that is capable of producing the uniquely French, dark, rich tone, that so many pros strive for? This saxophone is so undervalued, it represents the best value in vintage horns. It's worth anywhere from $1095 to $1195. I'm talking about the 1960 models. If you have an Evette Schaeffer from the 1920's,of course that would be worth way more. But remember, the value is related to the overall condition and original finish. Re lacquered saxes are worth less. Over-all, you have a super fine sax !
Good Luck!
Grant Koeller  

Saxophone

Grant R. Koeller