Saxophone/tone and sound quality of Buescher soprano

Question
dear Mr. KOELLER ; In your opinion, what gives the buescher true tone soprano, circa 1920,(1928) such a rich and warm tone and yet have power up into the high notes as well into the low notes.That model just doesn't seem to have any weak areas ,sound and tone wise. From the musicians and recordings i have had the privledge to listen to each note is true and spot on. now i realize this could get very technical and that would not be fair to you. the short answer would of coarse be that the designer/craftsmen was ,a genius. Most sopranos have that snake charmer type sound. no disrespect to the fine quality sopranos out there,this is just my opinion. i heard higher copper content and more lead in the brass are reasons,also the inside bore is a bit larger in diameter than other horns. i know from other reading that the neck and top end of a soprano are very important for tone quality.I was wondering if a true tone was heavier (denser} than other sopranos. i also wondered if Mr. Buescher used a slightly different ratio of metals in the brass. What about the taper ratio from throat to bell ? Sorry... I,m getting carried away. Any information or opinions on this matter by you Mr. Koeller would be greatly appreciated.I also just want to say . i wish i could have met you.I read your biography on the left of the page.... its a book in itself. You have enough experiences for 5 lifetimes.Someone should interview you,have you on the radio or television or something.The stories you could tell on so many subjects would be highly interesting and entertaining . Sincerely, Michael N

Answer
Hello Michael, Any of the Conn, Buescher and Martin saxophones made back in the 1920's had fantastic tone projection and beautiful timbre. Most saxophones back then used silver plated brass, and were made by the finest craftsmen in Elkhart, Indiana. I also believe that when you hear a sax played live, the player has a lot to do about the final tone production. What mouthpiece and reed combination, how many years they have been playing...You should get on "Sax On The Web"...Everything you have brought up has been discussed at length....Gus Buescher started out at the Conn Factory, so he had great mentors. In order for any sax to project, there needs to be 100% compression. (no Leaks) This can be achieved by new pads ,installed with french shellac and burned into the tone holes with high quality seats. Some repairmen recommend using Lemon oil,(OLD ENGLISH FURNITURE OIL)brushed on each and every pad with a q-tip type applicator. This will make a poor playing sax again perform with 100% COMPRESSION.  Thank you for your great question. I'm just a guy who has been lucky to serve his country playing the saxophone and making people happy. Life is really about learning. We never stop learning. Playing the sax is a life long endeavor.It truly take your whole life and then you die. I have a Conn Curved soprano,that was made in 1926. It has a true sax sound and not a snake charmer tone. Those curved sopranos are really sweet. Please have a wonderful 2013!
Good Luck!
Grant Koeller  

Saxophone

Grant R. Koeller