Saxophone/True Tone sax

Question
Charles
I found your reply to Ephrain on Feb 24, 2012, about his True Tone sax from 1918.

I have a True Tone but as you mentioned I believe it is from the later production years with the snap on pads. The serial number is 157509. Original Silver finish and most pads still seal but some of the cork is missing and worn. It still plays and has a nice warm sound to a guy who plays drums.

I have the same basic question. What is the value in good shape? Or, is it possible this thing is a rear collectors item? It still has it's wood (purple) felt lined case.

I read your extremely in depth review and don't need a lot of detail as I just want to know what to do with it.

Thanks in advance
Jim

Answer
Jim,

I had to go back and review that post, I didn't realize how long that was.

The horn you have was manufactured between 1920 and 1925. It is a sax craze horn so there were a large number of "True Tone" saxophones produced. Also as I mentioned in the other post, the Aristocrat model that followed the True Tone was a much better instrument and the horn players want. The True Tones are nice horns but not necessarily a "collectors" instrument and not rare. In fact it's the True Tone models that most often found stuffed into closets, attics, at garage sales, etc. A saxophone collector may have one or two for the sake of having them but it would not be the prize of their collection.

It's value would be between $600 to $1000 depending on if it's an alto or tenor,  it's condition, finish, playability, etc. If it needs repairs, you would have to deduct the cost of the repairs from the value.

I hope this helps.

Charles Harris  

Saxophone

Charles Harris