Saxophone/Is vintage an acronym for good but old sax or a brand under Armstrong brand? Please educate me because I want to buy an alto sax of lower price tomorrow.

Is vintage a brand of sax or old sax that was repaired?

"vintage" is used (in the musical instrument world)to denote an "old" instrument, even if it is not that old. There were great old horns and there were some serious junkers, even when they were new. This still happens today. BEWARE! Many (not all) retailers will use the sales pitch that a vintage instrument is no good and that you will need to buy Brand XYZ. If that is the case, why do so many pros play "vintage" horns?

If you are looking at a particular horn, more info will help to determine if it is a jewel or a lump of coal.

Jeff Frazier

Any questions related to the repair, refinishing and restoration of band instruments (woodwinds and brass).

I am co-owner J and J Woodwinds LLC, a full service repair and restoration facility locatd in Shreveport, Louisiana. We have been in business since 1985 providing customers worldwide with the repairs and restorations that many will not do!

Apprenticed under one of the finest repairmen in the business at Williams music in the late 1970's/early 1980's. His brother is listed as one of the top band instrument repair techs in the nation!

Featured on KTBS 3 (Shreveport, La) in October 2009

US Army Band, US Navy Band, US Air Force Band, beginner and pro players across the globe