Saxophone/Is vintage an acronym for good but old sax or a brand under Armstrong brand? Please educate me because I want to buy an alto sax of lower price tomorrow.

Question
Is vintage a brand of sax or old sax that was repaired?

Answer
"vintage" is used (in the musical instrument world)to denote an "old" instrument, even if it is not that old. There were great old horns and there were some serious junkers, even when they were new. This still happens today. BEWARE! Many (not all) retailers will use the sales pitch that a vintage instrument is no good and that you will need to buy Brand XYZ. If that is the case, why do so many pros play "vintage" horns?

If you are looking at a particular horn, more info will help to determine if it is a jewel or a lump of coal.

Saxophone

Jeff Frazier