Saxophone/Identifying alto saxophone

arban wrote at 2016-08-29 12:35:43
There are any sax DORE which are available on the web. One is at SAXIMAX'site. This one is typical of the Maker René Guénot & Albert Douchet. They made instruments between midlle twenties and late forties (1950?)

This brand is unfortunatly hardly known. But the lucky owners of those sax are enthusiastics.

Those sax have the reputation to have a very beautiful smooth sound and to be very easy to play.

What means DORE....maybe DOuchet REné ?

If yours is a Guenot/Douchet stencil, I think his serial number belongs to them. It must have be done in 1936 or closely around.

For confirmation, you can send me pictures at

All the best.

Eugene Cantera

I have been a music educator for over 25 years and have taught on many levels from young children and school agers on through to college level, professional players and senior citizens. My main areas of expertise are saxophone(s) though I have taught many instruments including, guitar, bass, piano, oboe and drums to name a few. I have also done research on horns both vintage and new.

I have been in music education for 25 years and I have written and published in the subject of professional music education.

The Dallas Morning News, Dallas Business Journal, Marketing and Higher Education Newsletter.

Bachelor of Music Education, Hartt School of Music - The University of Hartford.